Drag & drop app organizer & keyboard shortcuts.
This week sees the release of some new WB10 features and bug fixes. Most notable are the drag and drop app organiser and keyboard shortcut improvements, all described below. Read the release blog for a complete list of what's in this version!
Drag and Drop App Organiser 👆
New to WB10 today is the Drag and Drop App Organizer which enables you to ability reorganise your groups and apps in Wavebox. Maybe you want to create a new group, or perhaps you just want to move an app from one group to another? Whatever you want to do, now's the time to get organised.
How does it work?
It's so simple. Grab any icon in Wavebox to reveal the drag and drop helper tool in the main window. You will notice that there are two highlighted colours: (1) Orange highlighted areas are for groups and (2) Blue highlighted areas are for apps. Note that when you move a group or app, they retain their original cookie container and any other settings ie. an apps settings are not overridden by any new group settings.
Give it a try!
Just update to the latest version of Wavebox to try the App Organizer. Go to 'Settings > General > Updates > Check for Updates' to prompt the download.
- Move a group (with one or more apps) - Grab a rounded square group icon in the sidebar and drag it to any orange space in the sidebar (up or down) to reposition it. Note: you can't drag a group containing apps into another group.
- Move a group (with one app) into an existing group - Grab the rounded square group icon in the sidebar, and drag it to any blue space in an existing group. This will turn it into an app, and the icon will become a circle.
- Move an app into an existing group - Grab a circle app icon and drag it to any blue space to join an existing group.
- Move an app to create a new group - Grab a circle app icon and drag it to any orange space in the sidebar to create a new group.
Profiles are now 'Cookie Containers' 🍪
You may have noticed that we've made a subtle change to how we refer to profiles. These are now called 'cookie containers' which are essential for isolating or sharing cookies between apps. Choosing the correct container when you add an app is very important as it can potentially affect your workflow (although you can go back and change an app's profile in Settings).
- If you want apps to work together e.g. clicking on a link in one opens correctly in another) they should share a cookie container, which will probably the default. Please note that you don't need to create a new cookie container for each group or app.
- You will need to create a new cookie container if you are adding multiple apps of the same type e.g. two Gmails. In this case, the two Gmails must have different cookie containers to work correctly.
- You can also create a new cookie container for a group/app if you want to isolate it from other apps e.g. keeping home stuff separate to work stuff.
To ensure that users get the most out of Wavebox, we've put together some new essential reading on Containers, Groups and Collections, with some tips on how they work:
- How to use Cookie Containers, Groups and Collections in Wavebox.
- Organise your SaaS with Wavebox. Which User are you? (coming soon).
Last but not least, we've done some work on keyboard shortcuts, resolving some issues and making improvements. Keyboard shortcuts can be found in Settings (screenshot above). Here's a quick summary of what we've been up to:
- You can now create a keyboard shortcut to toggle the app (hide/show).
- Create a keyboard shortcut to lock Wavebox using the desktop lock.
- We've fixed a bug where keyboard shortcuts wouldn't clear.
- Some keyboard shortcuts & combinations were not working as intended, but they do now.
- The toggle address bar keyboard shortcut is no longer flakey.
- We've fixed an issue where cleared keyboard shortcuts would not be persisted between updates.
That's all folks!
Thanks to everyone who has contacted us this month with great feedback and feature requests. We have many more exciting features on the way so keep an eye out for the next update! 👀😍